Saturday 29 August 2015

Addicted to Food

Hello, my name's Sandra, and I'm addicted to food!

Making the first admission of addiction is difficult, as most addicts will tell us.

I was reading a great book this week, Bryce Courtney's Matthew Flinders Cat. It's essentially a book about a homeless man, his journey there and while there, as well as his journey away from there. All surrounded by addiction to alcohol.

There were several passages that made me reflect on how I see food.

I've mentioned before about how emotions can be tied up to what you eat, when you eat and how you eat.  All, for me, are a way to 'stuff down' the feelings that are threatening to surface.

This can become an addiction. A way of dealing with unpleasant feelings or thoughts.

How to break that addiction?

The first step is to admit that you use food as a crutch, or as a replacement to your emotions, that you stuff them down.

After that, it's finding out more about those emotions, and establishing a healthy eating regime to manage your choices.  We can do that together.

I know I'm not 'over' my addiction, you can never be over something like that. BUT I do know the triggers, and how to manage those feelings now. A big step forward, and because of that I've maintained my goal weight for nearly 2 years. AWESOME!!

For more information, or to contact me, check out my website, www.sandravenables.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your story too