Wednesday 16 November 2016

Recipes - more nutritious salads

Beetroot & Feta Salad


I was checking out the vege rack today and noticed that I still have some beetroot sitting there from last week.  Now, I'm not a person to extravagantly throw away veges just 'because', so I have made a choice to make a salad from the beetroot.  I always keep some feta in the fridge for moments such as these!

So, I was on the search for a recipe that will suit me and be relatively easy to make (I currently don't have any rocket or lettuce in the garden, so this limits most recipes for me).

I found this interesting looking one on BBC Good Food 

Here is the recipe:

1kg heirloom beetroot 
200g feta cheese
100g pumpkin seeds, roasted

Dressing: 
zest and juice of one lemon
2tbsp white balsamic or white wine vinegar
2tbsp extra virgin rapeseed oil

Now, I'm usually great at changing the recipe to suit what I have in the cupboard.  So, for my salad today, I'm going to do the following:

Change the white balsamic to carmelized balsamic and white wine vinegar mixed. 
Reduce the rapeseed oil (and change it to olive oil), to 1tbsp
The amount of beetroot, feta cheese and pumpkin seeds will be reduced based on the weight of beetroot I have.

Boil the beetroot (skin on), for about 20 - 30 minutes until they are tender, drain and leave to cool.
Peel (now, if you're worried about pink/red fingers, use gloves. I'm not fussy, so am happy to peel without gloves. I find if I wash my hands quickly, it's not so bad, and the colour usually goes within a day).
Slice the beetroot
Mix the dressing ingredients together, usually I do this in a shaker. Season. Pour over the beetroot. 
Cut the fetta into small cubes, toast the pumpkin seeds (I normally heat these in a pan over the stove until they start to roast), then scatter these over the top of the beetroot and toss together.

For a kilogram of beetroot, this serves 8 people, with 204kcal per serve

Borrowed from BBC Good Food

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your story too